A MOV file is one of the most popular multimedia container file formats. It has multiple tracks that may contain video, audio, timecode and text tracks, which are used to store and synchronize different types of media. Each of these media may be encoded using different codecs. Therefore, in order to play these .mov files, an application or media player must recognize these codecs.
QuickTime is a great tool developed by Apple for playing multiple video formats, pictures, sounds, panoramic images and interactive stuff.
MOV files are also known to have issues. There are times when one gets a black screen with only audio or absolutely nothing is visible on the screen.
Reasons for black screen on MOV files
Now, these black screen errors can be caused due to:
- Missing codecs.
- Incomplete download or transfer of these MOV files.
- A virus or malware infection of a MOV file on the hard drive.
- Improper conversion from other multimedia formats to MOV.
- MOV file header corruption. The header contains important information like file name, size, location and so on. Software conflicts can cause MOV file corruption.
- Abrupt power shutdown and power outages in the middle of transfer process can also corrupt these .mov files.
- Reduce Hardware Acceleration
Hardware acceleration is a technique, wherein the computer is forced to perform at a faster rate than the standard computing architecture of a Computer Processing Unit (CPU). It is usually used with heavy computing tasks and operations such as graphics or video processing.
To reduce the hardware acceleration:
- Right click on Desktop. Now select Personalize
- Select Display on the left panel and click on Change Display Settings.
- Now click on Advanced Settings.
- The Graphics Properties box opens up. Now click on Troubleshoot tab and Change Settings.
- Display Adapter Troubleshooter window opens up. Move the pointer pertaining to Hardware acceleration to the left to reduce it and click on Ok.
- Uninstall the driver
If the black screen error is caused due to an outdated driver, uninstalling the particular driver and reinstalling it could solve the issue.
To uninstall a driver that was added to the system via an installer,
- Click on Start. Type Uninstall Program and press Enter.
- A uninstall window opens up. Now go through the list. Identify your device or drivers. Right click on it and press Uninstall.
Some devices or driver do not have an uninstaller, you can go to Device Manager to remove the driver completely.
- Click on Start. Type Device Manager and press Enter.
- Locate the driver and double-click the driver you want to uninstall.
- Right-click on the device and click Uninstall.
- Windows will prompt you for removal of the device. Click Ok.
- Once the uninstallation process is completed, restart your system for changes to take place.
After the system reboot, install the latest version of the driver from the manufacturer’s website.
- Using Remo Repair MOV
Remo Repair MOV software is an effective tool to fix .mov black screen quicktime error.
The software is equipped with deep scanning algorithm to repair MOV files that were corrupted due to any reason.
Note that in order to repair your corrupt or damaged MOV file, you need to have a healthy or working MOV file as a reference.
Remo Repair recovery tool scans the corrupt MOV file thoroughly, rectifies the error in a few simple steps.
You can preview the working MOV file in just a few minutes. Once you are happy with the repaired MOV file, you can save it to a destination folder of your choice.