A RAW file system is encountered when Windows is unable to identify the file system of your hard drive or any other external drive. With drive file system being unrecognized by Windows OS, it won’t be possible to read or access the data residing on the drive that turned raw.
Whenever a storage drive has a RAW file system, you may notice messages like:
- You need to format the disk in the drive before you can use it. Do you want to format it?
- This volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.
- The type of the file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.
- The disk image isn’t initialized, contains partitions that aren’t recognizable, or contains volumes that haven’t been assigned drive letters. Please use the Disk Management snap-in to make sure that the disk, partitions, and volumes are in a usable state
- If you check the properties of raw drive, you will find used space and free space to be 0 bytes
Restore data from drive with RAW file system
With the RAW system, the disk files remain completely inaccessible. Also, if you proceed with format operation the data will be erased from the disk storage. Henceforth, to recover data from raw hard drive you can use data recovery software. Even if you format the drive it is possible to r3etrieve drive contents all with the help of Remo Recover tool. It is a powerful program capable of recovering data from raw drives (inaccessible or formatted/reformatted). Remo tool supports internal/external hard drives, SSD’s, memory sticks, USB drives, memory cards and other removable storage devices. You just need to install the software on your computer and follow simple steps to restore required data from a RAW disk.
Prevention: Do not try to open the drive when format on the drive is in progress. Also, use “Safely Remove Hardware” option while removing an externally connected drive. It is because improper ejection leads storage drive to turn raw.